Sunday 22 May 2011

Keeping busy

Looking across the River Clyde
Exams are finished, the world didn't end yesterday, and I've got 2 weeks of holiday to enjoy! It's a shame the weather is still insistent on trying to dull the mood. Between rain and study I've had little chance to do much lately, but this morning I put on my waterproofs and headed out for a walk.

I know I should be taking this time to relax, but I enjoy being occupied and challenged by something. I'd quite like to start something new, perhaps another programming language, a website, or a small project. Earlier this year I started experimenting with gesture-control in Android. My programming experience with Android has been largely positive, and the simplicity of implementing basic gesture control is another reason I think it's a great platform to develop for. I'm hoping to do a mobile interaction project for my 4th year university project, and Android will almost certainly be the platform I choose.

So, what could I start learning to help kill some time over the next fortnight? As far as programming languages go, I consider myself "good" at C, Java and Python, and I'm familiar with Haskell and PHP. I suppose two popular languages missing from there are C++ and Ruby. I suppose I could follow some more advanced Haskell tutorials and improve my understanding of functional programming, especially since I'll probably take the functional programming course next year at university.

No comments:

Post a Comment