Tuesday 16 August 2011

The weather has it in for me

Port Glasgow
Port Glasgow, looking across the Clyde

I just walked five miles, most of it in the rain, to reach my goal of 50 miles, a week early! As I sit in my room looking out of the window, an hour after arriving home, I cannot see a cloud in the sky. This has been a common occurrence lately, with the bad weather coinciding with my decisions to go for a walk.

The recent rain has taken it's toll in the areas I walk, with tracks submerged under muddy water or slippery. Even when it isn't raining, my hiking boots are still getting soaked. I've not been mountain biking lately as a result; not because I dislike riding in the rain, I really don't mind it, but I cannot really be bothered to clean my bike afterwards. Hopefully things dry up again soon and I can head back out into the hills by bicycle.

With a week still to go, I've reached the goal I set myself of walking 50 miles (exercise; not including walking to/from work, shops etc.) in a month. It was an enjoyable challenge and motivated me to head out into the hills more. The exercise certainly helped me, and it's encouraged me to get back into mountain biking as well.

Carrying on from the previous challenge, I'm going to set myself another. Starting tomorrow, I'm setting myself the goal of walking, running and mountain biking 100 miles in a month (finishing on September 17th). As before, this won't include commuting. I'm really going to have to rely on my bike to rack up mileage this time around.

Really, 100 miles in a month is nothing. Heck, two years ago I'd cycle that in a week! I'll get back there, sooner or later...

No comments:

Post a Comment