Tuesday 30 August 2011

Side projects and running

Yesterday I started work on a new Android project, to pass some time and to create something which I, and hopefully others, will find useful. It's going to be an editor for GPS files which allows you to create, edit and share routes, using gpx (GPS exchange format) files. With the help of a friend, it's already made good progress in to something really lacking in features and polish, but still usable.

The image above is a screenshot showing what's implemented so far. Routes can be drawn by tapping the touch-screen to add a new waypoint and altered by dragging-and-dropping existing waypoints. Something I may also implement, if I can find out an elegant way to do it, is selecting points by a long press and then giving the option to, say, delete it.

Right now we're working through a to-do list and turning this into something which may eventually end up on the Android Market. Just after starting it, though, I'll be putting it on hold for a few days while I go off to stay with family on the other side of the country. Hopefully the weather stays reasonable, because I'll be taking my hiking boots, running shoes and, maybe, bike. It'll be great to just chill out, explore new places, and unwind for a few days.

I'm almost halfway there in my 100 mile challenge; I've covered 47.5 miles so far in the past 13 days. I've been running so much lately that I'm not racking up the miles as fast as I would be if I were cycling. My running is certainly improving though; both in speed and endurance. My technique is beginning to get more consistent as well, which is helping me to pace myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment