Sunday 7 August 2011

33/50

Inverkip & The Clyde
Looking across the Clyde, from the Greenock Cut
Since I set my goal of walking 50 miles in a month, I've walked almost 33. I've got over 2 weeks to go, so I see myself reaching this goal easily. Were it not for foot ailments which set me back a bit last week, I'd be very close to finishing already. It's not all bad though; a short break from walking gave me the chance to get back into mountain biking. My strength in the saddle is slowly increasing; I'll be sprinting up hills again in a couple of months!

Yesterday I walked the Greenock Cut, an aqueduct which runs around the hills behind Greenock. It was a good 8 mile hike and it stayed dry for most of the walk. I've lost count of how many times I've been around the cut (either by foot or bike), but yesterday was possibly the first time I did the entire walk clockwise. It was pleasant; from a distance, Greenock looks quite agreeable. Part of the trail overlooks what was my high school. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years since I finished there - time has fair flown by.

The weather forecast looks quite reasonable tomorrow and I'm hoping to get a walk in on my lunch break. I've been walking around Kelvin Park quite a bit this summer and it's amazing how quiet it gets on wet or overcast days. I've seen it going from packed on a sunny day, with not an unoccupied bench in sight, to completely empty the next; just because of a light shower.

Tomorrow will be the start of my remaining three weeks at work. It's been an interesting summer, although I'm already getting a taste of adventure for my short break afterwards. I'm planning a couple of camping trips and breaks away. Arran will definitely be visited, just so I can finally hike Goat Fell and get it off my to-do list. Depending on what else is in the area, I may camp in the glen and do something the next day as well. Inspired by something I was reading earlier, wild camping with a couple of Munros in the Crianlarich area is also a possibility. I have three weeks to decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment