Saturday 30 July 2011

Mountain biking at sunset

My heart is still racing, and I got home half an hour ago! A short ride up and over the hill was enough to remind me of how long it's been since I cycled regularly. Watching the sun set over the river was as stunning as always. The thrill of flying down rough ground with abandon was as exhilarating as always. Alas, the only thing to have changed is me; boy have I gotten unfit!

Last Sunday I mentioned that I set myself the goal of walking 50 miles in a month. So far, so good on that front! I've walked over 17 miles in my first week, despite an irritating blister on my left foot. I'm hoping that by tomorrow it leaves me along so that I can tackle another long walk over the hills. Some of that distance has come from walking on my lunch break at work. Not only am I getting some exercise, but it's helping to clear my mind and help me focus at work better.

I've been using the Endomondo Android app to track my walks and bike rides. As impressive as the app is, it's the accompanying website that makes Endomondo great.

In the last week I feel like I've made a lot of changes; I'm eating healthier (and counting my calories!) and exercising a lot more. Really, I should've made this lifestyle change months ago, but I know only too well the difficulties of getting started. I went through it 4 years ago, losing over 70 pounds. I'm embarrassed that I let myself slip a little, but I'm determined to undo the past year of stress and laziness.

I'm angry at myself for how I've let myself go this past year, but I'm determined to become fitter and healthier. I've passed that "breaking point" and I'm going to give this all that I've got. I'm not going to try to make a change, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment