Sunday 31 July 2011

Google is taking over my life

Having received an invite to the new Google Music service, I've only just realised how much I rely on Google and their services. My best friends are on Google Plus, my work is on Google Documents, I rely on Gmail for communication, I plan with Google Calendar, my open source projects are on Google Code, I use Google Scholar for research, I use Picasa for image storage, and now my music collection is on Google Music. I hear they have a search engine as well...

Edit: Also Google Maps, another product I use almost every day (mostly for GPS tracking bike rides and walks).

I've been impressed with Google Music in the few hours I've used it today. My music is almost uploaded to the service, which has taken a while with my awful upload speed. The idea is that you upload your music to the cloud, allowing you to stream it anywhere using a browser or the Android application.

Streaming has been flawless; no buffering or waiting for tracks to load. The interface is also nice to use. It's still in a restricted beta-testing phase so I'm unsure of what they have planned for the service, however at the moment I see it more as a way to listen to your music anywhere, rather than a music discovery service like Last.fm and Pandora.

I had a quick cycle in the rain earlier - good times! Hilly mountain bike rides are never easy, especially given my current levels of fitness. Nonetheless, exercise is exercise and I'll hopefully regain fitness quickly. I'm 7lbs lighter since I last weighed myself earlier in the month. Water weight aside, this is a very positive start! Progress like this is going to spur me on to better things over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment