Thursday 2 June 2011

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Loch Tay
I'm absolutely exhausted after today's hike, a windy jaunt up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. At over 1200m tall, Ben Lawers is the 10th tallest mountain in Britain. Alas, there was no spectacular view from the top of either mountain. Both summits were shrouded in cloud, making it difficult to see much in either direction. It's a shame really because on a clear day, the Cairngorms can be seen in the distance. I had planned to also continue to An Stuc, but poor visibility and tiredness (mostly tiredness) made me decide to forget that idea. In retrospect, that was a great choice - I'm exhausted now after just two!




Summit of Ben Lawers
Looking up at Beinn Ghlas

Both mountains are on the north side of Loch Tay, an area I've already seen plenty of having climbed nearby Meall nan Tarmachan a year ago. I was looking forward to similar stunning views from the peaks of both mountains today, but low cloud and mist combined to limit views to just an occasional glimpse of Loch Tay below.

Despite the mistiness and a chilling, strong wind, my face and hands are both sunburned. I suffer from being Scottish; a skin condition that causes you to burn from so much as a rare flicker of sunlight. Although the weather wasn't particularly great, it was a thoroughly enjoyable walk. It was steep in places and I felt challenged at times, but that's to be expected from such tall hills. At 1103m and 1214m tall, both hills are the highest I've had the pleasure to hike.

I can't really think of a better way to spend 7 hours (although right now 7 hours of sleep is a fantastic idea), and hopefully I won't have to wait long before another adventure in the hills. Now to eat, wash and chill out with some movies and Minecraft.

2 comments:

  1. "I can't really think of a better way to spend 7 hours"
    How's about seven hours of sex? =P xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably equally as tiring :P x

    ReplyDelete