Tuesday 14 December 2010

Victoria Park

Victoria Park
Victoria Park, Glasgow
Today I saw a frozen pond for the first time. I went for a picnic with my girlfriend in Victoria Park, a short walk from her university campus. The pond in the park is massive, and all but a little corner was completely frozen over.

I once read that Glasgow has more parkland than any other European city of similar size. As surprised as I am by this, I guess it doesn't surprise me. Kelvin Park alone is massive. I'm in my third year at Glasgow University, right beside the park, and yet every time I go for a walk there I find something different.

As cold as it was today, I really enjoyed the fresh air and company. I had initially made last-minute plans to hike on Arran today, only to learn that a limited ferry service would mean having to descend in the dark - something I'm not too keen on doing in winter.

I'm beginning to get quite jealous of a friend in the state of Washingston. The mountains around Seattle are just immensely beautiful - Mount Rainer especially. Washington just seems like Scotland on a larger scale - windier, wetter, and with larger and more impressive hills.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with that last bit... I miss the big mountains in WA every so often, and since I'm going to AZ this summer, I won't see them for a whole year--till Christmas again. Sad times.

    And thanks for the comment. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. AZ will be just as awe-inspiring, I imagine. It seems like the environment is the exact opposite of WA.

    You're very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete