Thursday 16 December 2010

North Cyprus

Girne Harbour
Kyrenia Harbour (North Cyprus)
Maybe it's because of the recent winter weather, but lately I've been reminiscing about holidays abroad. During the summer I spent an amazing 2 weeks in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus, the northernmost 1/3 of the island of Cyprus.

Visiting North Cyprus was a very interesting experience, mostly because of the political situation in the country. I've found that none of my friends are aware that North Cyprus even exists, most likely because it is not recognised as a country. I'm not going to discuss the politics of the area, however, because it's a situation I really should try to learn more about.

It is without doubt the most beautiful place I've ever visited. I tried to hike as often as possible just to get out and explore a landscape so vastly different to Scotland. I always got such a kick out of seeing a snake or lizard whilst walking, despite it being such a regular occurrence. The views were always amazing, having the Mediterranean on one side and jagged mountain tops on the other.

I miss waking up every morning, walking onto the patio, and staring at both the bright blue sea and mountains. Maybe one day I can wake up to that view every day... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment