Wednesday 23 November 2011

Running Visualisations

A heatmap of every run in November so far

Tonight I've been playing around with a python script which generates heatmaps from GPX files. The image above is a composite image of my last 10 runs in November (taken from my phone). It's fairly easy to see where I run most often.

What would be really cool would be if there was some way to visualise speed at a given point. The above image uses colour intensity to encode frequency of location; the more intense the colour, the more often I've run there. I'd find it interesting if it was possible to use colour to encode movement speed at a given point. For example, you could calculate the average speed across each run being visualised, and use different colours to represent above and below average, with varying saturation being used to represent how much above or below the average you were at that point.

Although I've seen a few existing methods of visualising speed (typically line charts), I've yet to see one which shows the relationship between speed and location. Endomondo and similar websites approach the issue by showing a map and separate chart for speed, and moving your mouse over either shows the corresponding location on map or speed on the chart. This exploratory method doesn't really give a good overview of the information.

This has the makings of a potential side project...

No comments:

Post a Comment