Tuesday 6 September 2011

East vs West

The most noticeable difference, at least from an outdoors perspective, between where I've been staying on the east coast of Scotland and where I live on the west? It's so flat! I've smashed my personal bests for running (for distance, not speed) without my quadriceps even complaining. At home, however, it feels like I'm almost always going either up or downhill.

It's not that I dislike uphill running, no, it's the downhill stretches that get to me. I find uphill running to be relaxing; it strongly encourages good form and pace, else you'll burn out quickly. I like feeling "in the zone" as I (slowly) make my way up the hill. Downhill, though, just doesn't feel right. Maybe I'll get used to it as I run more.

In my 100 miles challenge, I've covered 70. That leaves me with 30 miles in 11 days; easy! A couple of bike rides in there and I'm set.

I'm going to have to organise my time better once university starts back. Last year I failed to make a compromise between work and fun and training and as such cut out the training completely. That has taken it's toll on my body and my fitness and I'm determined to not have that happen again. It won't be easy finding time to stay on top of studies as well as just chilling out and training, but I'll find a way.

It'll help my studies too. I love that feeling where your mind empties when you're out pushing yourself and you get a fresh perspective on things. One of my lecturers in first year said the best way to tackle programming problems was to sleep on it; just step away from the computer, go for a walk and think about it. You're dead right, Quintin.

No comments:

Post a Comment