Monday 16 May 2011

Procrastination, photography and Portugal

Carvoeiro, Algarve, Portugal 67
Carvoeiro, Portugal (Photo: garyhayes [Flickr])

Do you ever feel like you mindlessly browse the internet, consuming vast amounts of content for no reason other than to kill time? I think I definitely fall into this category at times. Maybe that's why I've lately been trying to update this blog more often and found a desire to share more photos on Flickr. Perhaps switching from being a consumer of content to a producer is a way of feeling like I'm not wasting so much time online.

I don't imagine this blog ever being read by more than a few people close to me and I'm surprised whenever a photograph of mine on Flickr gets more than 20 views. However, I think that the time spent writing these posts and taking photographs to share on Flickr is a more valuable use of time than browsing Reddit or Facebook.

Writing blog posts has lately seemed almost therapeutic to me - it's relaxing to write my thoughts down, even if I'm just talking nonsense. Sharing photos on Flickr is just an end-product of doing something I enjoy. If anything it gives me something to look back on, reminding me of the interesting places I've been and the cool things I've experienced.

The photo at the top of this post is of the beautiful cove beach in Carvoeiro in the Algarve. In a way I suppose I have a sad memory of being there; it was the last place we visited on our last holiday to Portugal. I miss the freshly cooked seafood, the kick from piri-piri chicken and the amazing bread. Strange, I know, but the locally produced bread was delicious; I've yet to find bread in Scotland which even comes close.

No comments:

Post a Comment